The Spirit of Rasputin’s is a volunteer-based community of folk music enthusiasts. This page of “Frequently Asked Questions” is devoted to helping our volunteers do the best job possible with the least amount of confusion or unnecessary effort.
The short answer is “no”. We welcome your help and assistance whether or not you choose to join. But the members have deliberately decided to keep the cost of membership at a nominal $20 per year. There is value in becoming a member. Members are privy to more information such as minutes of board meetings. Members also receive targeted newsletters. Members also participate in a members’ raffle to receive free concert tickets.
But if what you prefer to contribute is just your time, you are certainly welcome to do so.
Q: I contribute articles to SoR for the website and for other promotion. What photographs can I use in my articles without infringing the copyright of the photographer who owns the image?
A: All photographs that are in the SoR website’s “Photo Albums” are licenced for use by SoR volunteers for any purpose other than re-sale. As a SoR volunteer author, you are free to use these photographs in any article you contribute to SoR. This includes articles for the website, as well as articles destined for third party publications such as newspapers and magazines. You are free to crop or resize the images to suit the purpose of the article. However, if the photographer or graphic designer has placed a a signature on the image, you must preserve the signature or include other equivalent credit in some manner in your article.
Q: How do I become a volunteer photographer for SoR?
A: If you are a skilled photographer and think you have “the right stuff”, contact Kate Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will discuss the technical requirements with you.
SoR likes to have one or two volunteer photographers at every major event. But more is not better…too many photographers interfere with others’ enjoyment of the show and tend to distract the performers. Volunteer photographers need to possess the skill, equipment, and time required to take and process high quality images in the low light conditions of a concert environment. All SoR volunteer photographers also agree to the following licencing policy:
- The photographer of record grants to SoR an unlimited licence to use any SoR Photo Album photograph in whole or in part so long as credit is given:
- By keeping the photographer’s embossed signature or name, or
- By crediting the photographer in another appropriate manner.
- All images in The Spirit of Rasputins (SoR) website Photo Albums are freely available to SoR volunteers for use in SoR articles and other SoR promotional material , and may be resized and/or cropped in order to fit the purpose of an article or graphic design.
- Print-quality images will also be provided on request for SoR posters or other SoR print promotion without charge on an occasional basis and as time permits.
- In granting to SoR the unlimited right to use their work, the photographer of record in no way diminishes their ownership of their own original work.